Meet the Member – Nicole Meehan, Handy Ma’am Ltd
• Dec 07th 2023 • by GLASGLOW GIRLS CLUB • 0 Comments
‘Meet The Member’ is our blog series where we get to know the members of our business club a little better. In this post, we catch up with Nicole Meehan, Handy Ma’am Ltd
Name, business name
– Nicole Meehan and my business is Handy Ma’am Ltd.
Tell us about your businesses, the inspiration behind it and when you launched it?
– It is a joinery and home improvement business specialising in storage solutions, like built in cupboards, wardrobes, built in benches etc. My love for joinery started when I was a kid working in the shop with my dad on evenings and weekends. I have designed and built so many things over the years, it’s hard to remember them all. My love of storage and organizing comes from my ADHD. To function well I need to have an organized space, and I need to be able to see and access everything easily. I quickly learned that this philosophy tends to benefit everyone! I apprenticed and worked for a home renovation company in Toronto called Fix n Chix, and until I started Handy Ma’am it was my favourite job! I started Handy Ma’am in October 2021 after I lost my job and decided it was time to switch things up and go back to what brings me joy. I have been loving it ever since I made the decision and have now moved from a Sole Trader to a LTD company.
Best piece of advice you were given at the start of your business journey?
– this isn’t something I received at the start of my business but about a year in – a wise woman said to me to put my prices up and say no to the things that take me away from what I really want to be doing. In the beginning you feel you have to say yes to every job because you don’t know when the next one will come in, but doing that scattered my focus took away from what I actually wanted to grow my business in which is joinery and storage solutions.
What has been your biggest lesson/ challenge faced so far and how did you overcome it?
– believing in my value and worth. It is really difficult as a woman in business, but particularly a woman in a male dominated trade industry to value myself, my skills and my time when it comes to my quotes and pricing. Many times I have had people say I’m too expensive or try to negotiate my prices (when in the beginning they were already too low!) and this would make me doubt myself and question my worth. I overcome this by surrounding myself with strong, like minded and encouraging business women who support me and value me.
What is your number 1 business tip for success?
– get a virtual assistant or admin assistant. Claire from Avante VA started with me in June 2022 and on top of managing my diary, emails, clients, social media and more, she has helped to grow my business in ways I never imagined. She has taken so much stress and pressure off my shoulders so I could focus on each job and my business development as a whole
What are the big business goals for 2024?
– I would like to get the business to a point where it consistently has a gross income of £10,000 a month.
How can the GGC Business membership help?
– I would like to be connected with people who are looking to have larger joinery and storage projects done. For example, under stairs storage, built in benches and wardrobes.
What’s the dream?
– the dream is to grow the business and have multiple contractors doing different jobs. I would love to get to a point where I am less on the tools and more just managing the business. After that I would love to start running workshops and courses for people who want to learn some DIY skills
Fave mantra to get you buzzed up for business – you’ve got this!
Shout out to another local business you admire?- Avante VA
You can find out more here